Thunder Tea Rice, aka. 擂茶饭, is a delicious and healthy dish that is extremely simple to make. There are different variations of thunder tea rice – some might put tofu in it while others might put cabbagge or azuki beans.
- Grind the basil leaves, mint leaves, coriander leaves and lemon grass with water. Set it aside.
- Add miso paste and green tea powder into the mixture and set it aside.
- Soak the rice in water for an hour before cooking it with 2 cups of water.
- Mix a quarter of the tea into the rice.
- Saute each of the veggies as well as the tofu, separately, in 1 tbsp of sesame oil with garlic, sesame seeds, chili flakes, and salt.
- Plate the veggies and tofu around the shallow soup plate; put the green tea rice in the center.
- Garnish with peanuts, sesame seeds, and spring onions.
- (Optional) Add a fried egg on top.
Recipe contributed by: Dr. Deepika
Dr Deepika Rawlley Gopalan holds a PhD in Genetics and has completed the dnaLife Genetic Testing Certification Course from Nordic Laboratories. Having experienced the profound benefits of meditation for over 15 years, Dr Deepika advocates mindfulness and meditation to enhance self- awareness in day to day living towards lasting lifestyle change.